Its THAT time of year......the time my poor son gets sick on a monthly basis. I enforce hand washing, send hand sanitizer to school and use a 'preventative oil rub on his feet'. But lets face it, kids get sick. So for the last year, I have been changing out normal store products for natural homemade ones. One of these that was on my list was a homemade vapor rub. I keep hearing that the Vicks is not so great for little ones and that there are a ton of harmful chemicals in it. So, I made our own and wow do we LOVE it! It smells fantastic, feels great on the hands and my son enjoys putting it on. It renders a nice amount and is cheaper on the pocket book in the long run. I keep ours in the fridge to keep it a little more firm
Author: Homegrown & Healthy
- ½ cup Coconut Oil (olive oil, jojoba, grapeseed oil etc. will also work)
- 2 TBSP Beeswax pastilles
- 30 drops Eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops Peppermint essential oil
- 20 drops Tea Tree essential oil (optional)
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil (optional
- Once beeswax and coconut oil are melted, remove double boiler from heat and add essential oils.
- While the mixture is still liquid, pour in a 4 ounce jar. You will have about an ounce left over.
- A lip balm tube, tin or jar is great for the excess so you can take it on the go!
- The mixture will not take long to harden but if you want to speed up the process you can put your jar in the fridge.